Throughout the month of August, I’ve been asking people to read Ghost World by Daniel Clowes so we could discuss it as part of the How to Love Comics Book Club!
For those who haven’t been paying attention or have just joined us this is essentially how it works:
- I set a book at the start of the month.
- We all go out and read it.
- And then come back and discuss it.
We’re now up to the discussion phase of the process. The part where you get to have your say and what you enjoyed or didn’t enjoy in as much detail as you want in the comments below.
Before we get to the actual discussion I’ll lay down some ground rules, mostly for the sake of keeping the discussion friendly.
Book Club Rules
- Keep conversation friendly. You’re allowed to disagree with people, but do so in a way that is neither aggressive or belittling the person with different views or opinions.
- No trolling.
- Keep on topic.
- I have the right to delete any comments which break rules 1-3.
- Finally, have fun!
You can discuss Ghost World anyway you want, but if you’re looking for a few talking points here are a few to help you get started.
- Rebecca and Enid’s maturity.
- How the girls actions effected others around them.
- Do you think they were fleshed out characters?
- The pacing of the comic.
- The way Daniel Clowes put himself in the comic.
- Clowes’ linework.
- Clowes’ colouring.
Over to you, jump down into the comments and let’s talk about Ghostworld!