One of the most common questions I get on this site is “where is a good place to start reading Marvel?” With so many comics coming out each week, month and year it’s a pretty valid question to ask. To help answer this question I’ve collated 13 comics that are great jumping on points from Marvel in June 2016. Soon you will learn that it’s easy to dive into the Marvel Universe.
I’ve broken this up into two sections. New series, which are brand new comics starting this month. The other is existing series, comics that have been around for a little while but are starting new stories. Along with that I’ve added the solicitation text, creator credits, covers and other things to help you take the dive into Marvel comics.
All of these will be available at any good comic book store, Comixology or the Marvel Comics App.
If you’re looking for even more starting points for Marvel, you should check out the April and May lists – there’s more than 30 additional jumping on points.
I hope you enjoy the Marvel Universe!
Civil War II #1 (of 7)
Written by Brian Michael Bendis. Art by David Marquez.
The explosive first chapter in the comic event EVERYONE will be talking about. And we come out swinging with a blistering double-sized first issue from the creative team behind last year’s best-selling debut of INVINCIBLE IRON MAN and Miles Morales. A new Inhuman, with the ability to profile the future, emerges and the ramifications ripple into every corner of the Marvel Universe. Lines are drawn, bodies fall, and the Marvel Universe will be rocked to it’s very core. The action starts here!
Civil War II #1 is available from June 1st.
Written by Christopher Hastings. Art by Langdon Foss.
Loki is many things — god, trickster, brother, liar, son, villain, even hero. Now he wants to add one more thing to the list: President of the United States. That’s right, the God of Lies has set his sights on becoming the ruler of the free world, but is this just another scheme? One thing’s for certain — with Loki’s winning smile and silver tongue on the campaign trail, this election just got a lot more interesting…
Vote Loki #1 is available from June 15th.
A Year Of Marvels: The Incredible
Written by Dennis Culver and Yves Bigerel. Art by Leonardo Romero and Yves Bigerel.
• AT LAST! The Infinite Comic that had everyone talking makes it to print! Full of fun, heart, and pranks, this is one folks’ll be talking about for years!
• Presenting: a Mother’s Day story to curdle the blood!
• Meet the sinister Wendigo Sisters! Will the combined might of She-Hulk and Wolverine be enough to stop them from murdering their OWN MOTHER?
• Could there be more to this story than we’re telling you? Probably! Read and find out!
A Year Of Marvels: The Incredible #1 is available from June 15th.
Deadpool V Gambit #1 (Of 5)
Written by Ben Acker and Ben Blacker. Art by Danilo Beyruth.
Gambit—one of the smoothest, best-looking operators in the world of the X-Men. Deadpool—one of the most annoying, ugliest dirtbags in the world of everything. Naturally, these guys got beef. But do you know what they have in common? A secret history of working together to pull con-jobs. That’s right—the grift is on as the Regeneratin’ Degenerate and the Ragin’ Cajun begrudgingly take on one last job together. Writers Ben Acker & Ben Blacker (THUNDERBOLTS, The Thrilling Adventure Hour) and artist Danilo Beyruth (GWENPOOL) lead us into the dirty underbelly of Deadpool and the squeaky-clean abs of Gambit!
Rating: Parental Advisory
Deadpool V Gambit #1 is available from June 22nd.
Star Wars: Han Solo #1 (of 5)
Written by Marjorie Liu. Art by Mark Brooks.
Everyone’s favorite scoundrel gets his very own series! Han is given a top-secret undercover mission for the Rebellion — rescuing a number of informants and spies. His cover for the assignment? Only the biggest and most infamous starship race in the galaxy! You know — the race Han has dreamt of winning his entire life. Will he keep his mind on the mission? And can he manage to pull it off while keeping the lead? Best-selling author Marjorie Liu (X-MEN) comes to the Galaxy Far, Far Away along with superstar cover artist Mark Brooks (ULTIMATE X-MEN) in his return to interior art! Face it, readers — there aren’t enough scoundrels in your life!
Star Wars: Han Solo #1 is available from June 1st.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Adaptation #1 (of 5)
Written by Chuck Wendig. Art by Luke Ross.
It’s true—all of it! The biggest movie of the year jumps from the big screen to the comic book page! It’s been three decades since the Rebel Alliance destroyed the Death Star and toppled the Galactic Empire…but now, on the remote planet of Jakku…there is a stirring in the Force. A young scavenger named Rey…a deserting stormtrooper named Finn…an ace pilot name Poe…and a dark apprentice named Kylo Ren…Their lives are about to collide as the awakening begins. Written by Chuck Wendig (STAR WARS: AFTERMATH) and drawn by Luke Ross (HERCULES), take us on our first steps back into the Saga of a lifetime!
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Adaptation #1 is available from June 22nd.
The Mighty Thor #8
Written by Jason Aaron. Art by Russell Dauterman.
“LORDS OF MIDGARD” STARTS NOW!
• Corporate espionage, Marvel-style. Some of the world’s most powerful and evil corporations are going to war over turf.
• With Thor caught in the middle.
• That’s if Jane Foster can first escape from the clutches of… S.H.I.E.L.D.?
The Mighty Thor #8 is available from June 22nd.
The Vision #8
Written by Tom King. Art by Gabriel Hernandez Walta.
“LITTLE BETTER THAN A BEAST” STARTS NOW!
• The most critically acclaimed series of the year continues.
• The Avengers know. They know his wife killed the Reaper and the boy. They know Vision lied to protect her. They know that those lies will lead to more lies, those deaths will lead to more deaths.
• And they know they need to act, they need to find a way to prove that he has done what he has done so the Avengers can do what they have to do–finally and forever dismantle the Vision and his family.
The Vision #8 is available from June 8th.
Written by Jason Latour. Art by Robbi Rodriguez.
“WEAPON OF CHOICE” STARTS NOW!
• Gwen is dealing with the effects of the SPIDER-WOMEN crossover but has to face FRANK CASTLE head on!
• And The Mary Janes are all over this issue!
Spider-Gwen #9 is available from June 15th.
Spider-Gwen Annual #1
Written by Jason Latour. Art by Chris Brunner, Chris Visions and Jason Latour.
• The first ever SPIDER-GWEN ANNUAL is here and it’s huge.
• Threads for the next year of SPIDER-GWEN are laid down here in these stories:
SPIDER-GWEN and CAPTAIN AMERICA go on a secret mission!
THE MARY JANES get loud!
CAPTAIN STACY and GWEN meet SHE-HULK?!
Spider-Gwen Annual #1 is available from June 22nd.
Howard The Duck #8
Written by Chip Zdarsky. Art by Joe Quinones.
“HOME” STARTS NOW!
• Howard finally goes home, but is there such a thing for him anymore?
Howard The Duck #8 is available from June 8th.
Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! #7
Written by Kate Leth Art by Brittney L. Williams.
“BEST FRENEMIES” STARTS NOW!
• GUEST-STARRING JESSICA JONES!
• Fun in the sun can’t last forever — I mean, the sun’s going to explode in a couple billion years, right? With none other than Jessica Jones back in her life for the first time, nobody knows this like Patsy Walker, A.K.A. HELLCAT!
Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! #7 is available from 15th.
Written by Gerry Duggan, Charles Soule and David Walker. Art by Mike Hawthorne.
An all-new epic four-issue crossover in one package! This issue of Deadpool (lucky number 13) LITERALLY contains two issues of DEADPOOL, one issue of DAREDEVIL, and one issue of POWER MAN & IRON FIST! When Deadpool take a gig protecting a banker who betrayed his cartel partners, they seek the help of Assistant District Attorney Matt Murdock, who calls in the assistance (and fists) of Power Man Luke Cage and Danny Rand, master of the Iron Fist! A mega-violent, street-level, face-punching, gut-busting, kung-fuing, ninjitsuing crime story guaranteed to knock your teeth out! Bringing together the writers of the DEADPOOL, DAREDEVIL, and POWER MAN & IRON FIST series: Gerry Duggan, Charles Soule, and David Walker!
Rating: Parental Advisory
Deadpool #13 is available from June 1st.
Silver Surfer #5
Written by Dan Slott. Art by Michael Allred.
“Citizen of Earth” STARTS NOW!
• Are you still reeling from the massive status quo change from SILVER SURFER #3? Think our heroes need a break?
• No such luck. Because when the Surfer uses his powers to make Dawn’s time on Earth “better”, he unintentionally does something so devastating it might scar her for life.
• Get ready for the shocking revelation… that leads into the 200th Silver Surfer comic! You do NOT want to miss this one, True Believer!
Rocket Raccoon & Groot #5
Silver Surfer #5 is available from June 22nd.
BONUS: Timely Comics
Timely Comics are special reprints which collect the first three issues of a series at the low price of $3.00. These will be available in June anywhere you buy new comics. Discover more about Timely Comics.
What Will You Be Reading?
Which of these new Marvel comics will you be checking out this month? Let me know in the comments below or via our Facebook or Twitter.
Have your say!