Should I read comics in print or digitally? It’s a question that I’ve received many times throughout the life of How to Love Comics and one that there’s no clear-cut answer to. Everyone has their preference and reason why print or digital is their chosen format. To help you decide what format you should choose I have listed the pros and cons of each. Will it be print or digital? Read on to find out!
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Print Comics
- You have a physical object that’s tactile and you can hold, read and even smell.
- Some publishers go to great lengths to publish comics with great production values – with nice paper, embossing and more.
- Trade paperbacks and hardcovers look great on your bookshelf.
- You’re supporting local comic book retailers.
- Some comics read better in print.
- Takes up physical space you might not have.
- Not as convenient to take with you when you are out and about.
- Cost slightly more than digital (due to production costs).
- Can get damaged.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Digital Comics
- Can be purchased at any time – don’t have to rely on a store to be open.
- Easy to carry around a large number of comics as they’re either stored on a device or in the cloud.
- Generally cheaper than print comics – if not immediately then later down the track.
- If you’re not close to a comic book store this is an easy way to access comics.
- If you’re only concerned about reading and not collecting then digital could be for you.
- If a service like Comixology closes down or you’re locked out of your account then you have lost all of your purchases.
- You need a device in order to read them.
- Requires an internet connection to access.
- You can’t sell or trade-in digital comics.
- Not everything is available digitally.
Ultimately, I can’t give you a definitive answer either way. I suggest weighing up the pros and cons of each and take into consideration you’re circumstances and preferences. Once you’ve weighed these up you’ll be able to make a more informed decision.
But if you still can’t make up your mind on which you should choose I might have a solution…
That’s right! There’s no reason you can’t do both print and digital. This could take the form of one, or a mixture, of these manners:
- Reading some comics digitally and others in print.
- Read all your monthly titles digitally and then buy the trade paperback/hardcover in print format for the ones you love.
- Read all of your monthly comics in print, but buy back issues and series you might’ve missed digitally.
- Read an issue or two of a comic digitally to give it a try and then wait for the trade paperback/hardcover collection.
As mentioned before, I can’t give you a definitive answer as to whether you should be reading comics in print or digitally. The decision will depend on your personal preferences, habits and situations but by listing the advantages and disadvantages of both formats I’ve hopefully made your decision easier. Maybe even give you some points that you might not have considered. Although, as long as you’re enjoying comics it shouldn’t really matter what format it is in.
Will You Reading Comics Digitally Or In Print?
Will you be choosing digital or print when it comes to reading comics? Let me know why you’ve chosen to go the way you have in the comments below or via Facebook or Twitter. I’m really interested to hear your preference!